law firm content marketing

How to Get Your Law Firm Content Found and Read

by Tim Baran • May 15th, 2017 • Content Marketing | Blog

get your law firm content foundBuild it and they will not come.

They need some help to find you.

Aside from the therapeutic value of getting your thoughts down on paper (or screen), the super useful piece you spent more than a little time writing does no one any good unless they can find it.

Writing a blog post or website page is just the first step in creating content. Next comes optimization for search engines so people can find it when they search online for solutions to their problems, and promotion of the piece via social media and email marketing.

Search Engine Optimization (SEO)

Write for people and optimize for search.

In 5 Basic Law Firm SEO Best Practices, we discussed what you should consider every time you create a piece of content: keywords, title, description, images, and linking.

Your writing must be client-centric – speaking to the problems of clients and prospects rather than writing about what you do and what you can offer. 

For instance, I’m writing this piece based on questions and feedback we received from lawyers, not on the services we offer related to those issues. Providing something useful rather than promotional builds trust.

After you’ve created your content, take a look at the list of keywords you want to be ranked for. These are keywords prospects enter into a search engine when they look for information about their problem. Keep in mind that prospects can also be referral sources.

For more information on keywords, see:
How Lawyers Can Use Keyword Research to Find Their Niche
Why Long-Tail Keywords Are Important For Law Firm SEO

Have SEO questions? Check out our upcoming webinar, SEO Basics in an Hour for Lawyers and Legal Marketers.

Social Media

Social media is not a bullhorn. It’s all about engaging and building relationships. This includes sharing useful content you produce. The Pareto principle applies here: shoot for sharing other people’s content 80 percent of the time, with the other 20 percent being promotional. This is especially true for Twitter. The approach to Facebook and LinkedIn varies as you’ll share content less frequently on those platforms. 

See Use Blogging and Social Media to Grow Your Law Practice (video) for best practices.

Be aware that organic reach can be limited on the social channels. Consider boosting an occasional post for a few dollars on Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn. This allows you to reach target your audience

Email Newsletter

The reports of the death of email have been greatly exaggerated. It’s still one of the more impactful digital marketing efforts around. Email is a great way to stay top of mind with clients and prospects for when they, or someone they know, need your service.

See A Guide to Creating Effective Law Firm Email Newsletters for tips and best practices. 

Since you’re already creating content for your blog and website, and curating articles for your social media feeds, you already have fodder for a useful weekly or monthly email newsletter. Use a email platform like MailChimp which comes with a library of templates and is free for up to 2,000 contacts. Track your open and click rates to find out what’s resonating with your email subscribers and create additional content related to those issues. 

These three practices – search engine optimization, social media engagement, and an email newsletter – will help people to find your content when they need help. 

Content Marketing for Law Firms



Are you ready to get started generating new, qualified leads?

Contact us to get started and let us help you energize your digital marketing and business development efforts.

Contact Us