Search engine optimization is crucial for any kind of business. Are you an attorney that’s been overlooking SEO strategy? The truth is, doing so is a mistake that could cost you web traffic, new leads, and added revenue. Here’s a breakdown of why SEO is so important for attorneys – and some tips for improving your law firm’s SEO.
How Does SEO Help Law Firms?
The internet is today’s Yellow Pages. When people need a service (like an attorney), they start with an online search. In fact, according to research, the internet is the channel people are most likely to use to find a lawyer (even before asking friends and family). Not only that, research also shows that people are more likely to contact only one attorney and then hire them. When you consider these factors together, it makes sense that you need to do absolutely everything you can to get found as quickly and easily as possible online. SEO helps with that in a variety of ways.
- Perception of market position. People naturally assume that the higher your ranking on search results, the more market share your firm has. Better ranked firms are assumed to be more credible and reliable than those lower on the results page.
- Highly targeted traffic. Since SEO involves targeting specific keywords, you’ll reach visitors that are searching specifically for what you offer. For example, if you form a keyword strategy around “white collar defense”, then you’ll drive a lot more traffic who happen to be searching for that particular service. Relevant traffic is much more valuable than broader, general traffic.
- Increase in leads. SEO does take time to pay off, but when it does you’ll likely notice an influx of new and more qualified leads. Though SEO is by no means a “set it and forget it” strategy, it is one that constantly works behind the scenes, allowing attorneys to get more leads through all of their digital channels with less work.
- Better conversion rates. Since you’ll have more (targeted) people reaching out to you, you’ll have more opportunities to convert them. Even better, since SEO helps you to “work smarter”, you’ll have more time to focus on converting leads that come in through other channels too. In general, you’ll soon see your conversion rates rising.
- Higher ROI. When you apply an SEO strategy efficiently, your investment costs will go down over time which makes for a strong ROI. Many SEO tactics don’t require any third-party tools or resources, so they can generate a positive ROI from the beginning.
Tips to Improve Your Law Firm’s SEO
Many attorneys already understand what we just covered above, but simply aren’t sure where to start. Lawyers tend to be pretty busy people – it’s intimidating to take on another project of optimizing your website for search. Even if you don’t feel you have much time to spare, you can implement these 7 tips.
- Get more positive reviews online. The more reviews you have, the more likely search engines are to boost your rankings. Don’t be afraid to ask for testimonials. Make review requests part of your engagement wrap-up.
- Choose the right keywords. SEO is really all about keywords, so it’s important to understand which ones will actually help your website. There are plenty of tools that you can use to analyze keywords and incorporate them correctly.
- Don’t use legal jargon. Write for your website in a way that people without a legal degree can understand. Use the keywords you researched combined with professional but user friendly language to increase readability and search optimization.
- Optimize meta descriptions. A Meta Description is the brief description of your content that appears underneath your direct link in search engine results. If you don’t write something, search engines will automatically pull information from your site. However, if you write a great description using researched keywords, search engines are more likely to pay attention to your website.
- Add visual appeal. In recent years search engines have placed more focus on user friendliness and searcher intent. Keeping your site attractive and easy to navigate will gain you points in the search engine algorithms. Ensure your site is mobile friendly and uses responsive design, and add elements like video and blog content.
- Focus on local. It makes sense that your local reputation and local searches are paramount in getting leads. Local searches on Google, Bing, and Yahoo are very popular so it’s essential that you have uniform office and contact information across your web pages. You can also link to local events, highlight local organizations you’re part of, and join local listing directories to boost your online presence.
- Consistently share content. Regularly producing content is key in generating SEO results. Whether you plan to shoot videos, write blogs, or focus on other thought leadership, you should develop a plan that includes weekly or at least monthly content creation. Share new content on your social media pages as you go. Remember, actually adding value and sharing helpful information is the best way to get your content noticed.
If you’re an attorney looking to ramp up your lead generation or boost website traffic, then you need to give serious consideration to SEO. That being said, SEO is a complex and ever-changing science. While we’ve listed some tried and true tactics to start with, you should stick to a well-researched plan for implementing SEO across digital channels.
If you’re trying to implement an SEO strategy and don’t know where to start, contact us today and we’ll be of assistance.