Video has become a crucial component of an integrated digital strategy. In fact, 85% of marketers say that video is an effective way to get attention online, and video has become one of the key ways for potential clients to obtain information. Speaking of getting attention, though: how do you ensure that your video gets found in the first place? This is where SEO for video comes in. Many marketers aren’t sure where to start, but we suggest following these quick tips to help your law firm’s videos gain more visibility.
1. Host on a Third-party Platform
Though it’s possible to host your own video content (and doing so gives you a little more independence), it can tax your system and is often not worth the trouble. However, you can rely on a third-party platform, and there are several to choose from. YouTube is the most common and has the largest user base (and it’s free). Other free options include Dailymotion or Vimeo. Paid options typically make sense for more experienced content creators who need advanced features. Look at choices like Brightcove or Dacast. Once you’ve got hosting figured out, you can move on to specific SEO tactics.
2. Optimize Key Presentation Elements
After you upload your video, you’ll have the opportunity to customize certain pieces that will be shown to potential viewers. Taking the time to adjust these elements can help you gain more views and improve SEO.
- Thumbnail image – The small picture that represents your video should immediately capture attention and communicate what your video is about. Make sure it’s easy to read and not ambiguous. You can find more tips on optimizing your thumbnails here.
- Title – This is probably the first thing that viewers will use to decide if they want to watch your video. Try to make it reflect the main points of your video. It’s also important to include keywords that you’ve researched.
- Description – Use this text to give more context to your video. The best descriptions are short and to the point, and don’t just reiterate what the video already says. Include a question that the video answers or a summary of what’s in the content. Keywords play an important role in this section as well, so make sure to do your research and include correct keywords (and exclude any that you don’t want to be associated with your content).
3. Improve Your Transcript With Keywords
Keywords are an essential component of any SEO strategy. Many people do a great job of incorporating keywords into the video title and description but forget about the transcript. A transcript is an effective tool for generating traffic and views. That’s because every word in your video’s SRT files (containing closed captioning or subtitle text) gets taken into account by bots. The keywords help your content to be categorized correctly. You can create transcripts automatically by running speech recognition software on your content, or you can create them manually using a transcriptionist.
4. Embed Videos on Your Website
Eventually, you’ll want to seamlessly display videos on your site. Watching it there is much more convenient than clicking away to another site, but the data from the views still tracks in a single spot for useful reporting. That being said, embedding your video in multiple places will cause search engines to lose track or dilute the importance of the main landing page, so we suggest keeping the content available only on its own landing page.
5. Pay Attention to Metrics
Every hosting platform will allow you to view various metrics around your video’s performance, and you should take advantage. It will be helpful for you to understand who is clicking onto the video, where they come from, etc. One of the most important metrics to keep an eye on is watch time, which is the percentage or fraction of a video that a user watches before clicking away or moving on to another piece of content. Lots of metrics can help you to produce content that is more appealing to viewers, but watch time is one that is particularly relevant to search efforts. Though search engines take other factors into account, one of the main things that can help with SEO is how often the video is watched from start to finish. You can expect search engines to prioritize videos with stronger watch time statistics.
Different types of video content will require different SEO tactics to help you out-rank the competition. These tips can generally help your videos to be more visible, faster, but don’t forget to spend time promoting videos as well.
If you are attempting to utilize SEO tactics alongside video marketing, we can be of assistance throughout the process. Contact us today for a free consultation.